DWT Support Docs for Windows

JamesD via Digitalmars-d-dwt digitalmars-d-dwt at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 9 18:11:09 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 14:45:44 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2017-02-07 22:48, JamesD wrote:
>> I'm a programming hobbyist and I'm new to the D language.
>> I've recently
>> struggled to get a GUI working on Windows. I finally made some
>> progress,
>> and have created a few docs that I hope will help others.
>> Constructive
>> feedback is welcome.
>>
>> The following are on https://github.com/jasc2v8/dwt-support
>> under \doc:
>>
>> 1. Why use the DWT GUI for the D Language
>> 2. Config DWT GUI for Eclipse DDT on Windows
>> 3. Build DWT 64 bit on Windows
>
> That's great. A few comments:
>
> * Since DMD 2.073.0 (I believe) Dub is included
>
> * I don't know how the dub.json file that DDT creates looks
> like. But usually with Dub you build a release build with the
> following command: "dub build -b release". See "dub build -h"
> for more information, there are some other build types
> available as well
>
> * About the disadvantages, in my opinion, native widgets is an
> advantage. I guess there are two kinds of people, those that
> like native widgets and those who don't

Thank you for your constructive feedback - very much appreciated!

You are correct, the DMD download includes DUB, I updated the doc.
(I noticed that DMD also prompts to download VS if you require
64bit support)

The Eclipse DDT plugin creates a shell dub.json.  My doc "Config
DWT GUI for Eclipse DDT on Windows" shows how to edit this
dub.json to reference the DWT imports and libraries.

The Eclipse DDT plugin basically executes the "dub build -b"
command.  By default, it is the debug version.  Also by default,
dub reads the dub.json file so the app.d can link to the DWT
libraries.

The user can certainly execute the commands manually or in a
windows batch file - I'm working on another doc for that process
as well.

I agree with you about the native widgets, so I updated my other
doc as well.