Linux -> Windows crosscompiler

David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Mon May 29 09:00:24 PDT 2017

Hi Marvin,

On 28 May 2017, at 8:12, Marvin Gülker via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
> Obviously, the alternate solution is to rely on the open-source
> GCC/MinGW/MSYS2 toolchain for crosscompilation, which is not going to
> cause a licensing problem. I understand that this does not work with
> the
> current state of affairs, but I wanted to mention it for completeness.

This is correct. mingw-w64 is actually how we used to target Win64
before we had MSVC support; fixing Phobos to work with it again wouldn't
be too much of a hassle. However, it turns out that the vast majority of
developers prefer using the MSVC toolchain on Windows, apart from
directly porting *nix code using Cygwin, so it wasn't a priority to
maintain so far.

However, if you are seriously interested in cross-compiling to Win64,
you might indeed find it easiest to resurrect the mingw-w64 port (so you
can easily build a cross-toolchain for C as well). The most
time-consuming bit would probably just be setting up CI support for it
to make sure it doesn't regress.

Best,
David