D multimedia programming - a new website

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed May 3 05:21:04 PDT 2006

Tom S wrote:

> Not a problem at all. I think it's important to show people that there
> are more ways of setting up multimedia stuff in a way that can work not
> only with dmd on windows and linux. In the long run though, I think
> Derelict will be a good solution, because it will be getting static
> linking capabilities soon, so it will also work on a Mac.

You don't really need "static linking" for it to work on the Mac, so I
don't really understand what you mean here. Derelict doesn't work simply
because there are no build scripts, nor code, for Mac OS X ("darwin")...

The OpenGL shared library is in "/System/Library/OpenGL.framework",
normally linked with "-framework OpenGL". SDL can be linked in two
ways, either with SDL.framework (Mac) or with libSDL.dylib (Unix).

Or did you mean "without using function pointers", with your "static" ?

> The doc's license ? I dont care too much about licenses, so I guess it's
> some sort of public domain, or BSD, so that the article can be included
> anywhere provided that it doesn't contain false information ;)

If you want people to contribute to it, you need to settle on a license.

Wiki4D is under the GNU Free Documentation License, so that is more GPL
and "Free Software". If you want something like BSD and "Open Source",
then I think an Open Content license would work best? Or, you could give
up copyright and place it in Public Domain. But I'm not sure about that.

See for instance http://opencontent.org/ or http://creativecommons.org/

> I'm writing a second part of the tutorial that will use the following
> code: http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Main/WikiSandbox so I think it
> should cover some OpenGL and SDL stuff, but still AL and SDL tutorials
> would be great to have :)

The code from last year is in the CVS, at http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/

--anders