how to install?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Feb 20 10:25:22 PST 2008

glen worstell wrote:
> Thanks, Ary, for the short, clear, and correct instructions. In seconds I was able
> to compile and run hello.d
>
> However, when I copy hello.d to some other directory, I get the following error
> message:
>
> D:\glensDocs\dmdProgs>dmd hello.d
> hello.d(2): module Stdout cannot read file 'tango\io\Stdout.d'
>
> At least now, thanks to your instructions, I can try out d. I'll spend some more
> hours determining how to use d with source code in an arbitrary directory, or
> maybe you or some other kind person will take a minute to describe how to set up
> the correct environment variables, or sc.ini, or whatever.
>
> Once I get this all sorted out, with the help of other users, I'll write it up and
> ask Walter to put it on his web site.

Ok, you're trying to use the Tango library.  It's not the default
library that comes with DMD, and it is in fact a completely separate,
incompatible runtime for D.  It replaces low-level things like the
built-in garbage collector.  Because of that, installation of Tango is a
bit more involved.

If you want to use Tango, then starting from your current install,
follow the instructions here:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/WindowsInstall

--bb