[OT]Re: Books...

darrylb no at way.com
Sat May 10 13:02:33 PDT 2008

Walter Bright Wrote:
> I've been amply rewarded by discovering that my customers are nearly
> without exception decent, honorable, and nice people. I don't know if
> that is cause or effect, but it's fine with me either way.

Hmm, having troubles catching this. Shoot, where's the glossary. Ah there it is, and here are the relevant sections:

'my customers' = Those that have paid me.
'decent, honorable, and nice people' = Paid me.

So what you're saying is, 'Those that have paid me, have paid me'? Sure, makes logical sense I guess, but isn't really much of a statement.

What would really be more interesting, at least as far as I see it, is some mention of how you would know if you had been stolen from. Otherwise, saying anything like that is as hollow as saying, oh, 'Each copy that was purchased was not stolen'. Well, duh. But without something like that, all you are really saying here is, is that you have no idea how much of your stuff is stolen from you. Fair enough if that works for you, but I wouldn't try to claim that every user of your stuff is honest, just based on the fact that all of your paying users paid you. :P

> They're still copyrighted, though <g>.
So, you aren't concerned about people stealing from you on one level, but you are on another? :)