How To Dynamic Web Rendering?

Alexander aldem+dmars at nk7.net
Mon May 16 02:16:51 PDT 2011

On 16.05.2011 01:21, Robert Clipsham wrote:

> I can't be bothered collecting lots of references, but having done web development both professionally (not as much as Nick) and non-professionally, I can tell you that it *is* widely accepted as bad practice.

  Accepted as bad practice by whom? Looks like there is very small fraction of "real" web developers, who is deciding what is "bad practice", as almost anything which is public widely using it.

  Times change, and something was considered as "good practice" may change to "bad practice" in few years, and vice versa - I've seen that enough in last 20 years.

> ...but you now have 3 developers with varying experience with the web telling you it's not the right thing to do.

  I am sorry, but I didn't see any works of those web developers (I mean - the code), so I couldn't make my mind - what is *good* practice, and why it is better than anything else (again - *if done properly*).

  Good practice, from my point of view, is something that:

  - Easy to understand;
  - Easy to maintain;
  - Easy to extend;
  - Does its job well (according to specifications);
  - Has good performance;
  - Doesn't have any holes.

  So, it doesn't matter, how exactly specific solution is implemented, as long as all of those point are met. I can mix code with data or use DOM templates - as long as I fulfill the above stated requirements, it really doesn't matter.

  It is like my recent question about class member declaration order - I find it harder to understand the code, when members are not declared before use, though, others (on this list) tend to disagree with me. Who is right here?

/Alexander