How To Dynamic Web Rendering?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon May 16 03:23:12 PDT 2011

"Alexander" <aldem+dmars at nk7.net> wrote in message
news:iqqq9p$ka6$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 16.05.2011 01:21, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>
>> I can't be bothered collecting lots of references, but having done web
>> development both professionally (not as much as Nick) and
>> non-professionally, I can tell you that it *is* widely accepted as bad
>> practice.
>
>  Accepted as bad practice by whom? Looks like there is very small fraction
> of "real" web developers, who is deciding what is "bad practice", as
> almost anything which is public widely using it.

The vast majority of web developers *are* very, very, poor coders. Being
correct and being in the majority have absolutely *nothing* to do with each
other.

>  Times change, and something was considered as "good practice" may change
> to "bad practice" in few years, and vice versa - I've seen that enough in
> last 20 years.

That's an enormous oversimplification.

>> ...but you now have 3 developers with varying experience with the web
>> telling you it's not the right thing to do.
>
>  I am sorry, but I didn't see any works of those web developers (I mean -
> the code), so I couldn't make my mind - what is *good* practice, and why
> it is better than anything else (again - *if done properly*).
>
>  Good practice, from my point of view, is something that:
>
>  - Easy to understand;
>  - Easy to maintain;
>  - Easy to extend;
>  - Does its job well (according to specifications);
>  - Has good performance;
>  - Doesn't have any holes.
>
>  So, it doesn't matter, how exactly specific solution is implemented, as
> long as all of those point are met. I can mix code with data or use DOM
> templates - as long as I fulfill the above stated requirements, it really
> doesn't matter.
>
>  It is like my recent question about class member declaration order - I
> find it harder to understand the code, when members are not declared
> before use, though, others (on this list) tend to disagree with me. Who is
> right here?

When you're not doing trivial stuff, the traditional mix-code-and-html
approach fails miserably at:

- Easy to maintain;
- Easy to extend;
- Doesn't have any holes.

And it also causes this to become a bigger and bigger problem as a project
progresses:

- Easy to understand;

All of that, in turn, makes this MUCH, MUCH harder than it would otherwise
be:

- Does its job well (according to specifications);