How To Dynamic Web Rendering?

Alexander aldem+dmars at nk7.net
Mon May 16 05:11:23 PDT 2011

On 16.05.2011 12:23, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> The vast majority of web developers *are* very, very, poor coders. Being
> correct and being in the majority have absolutely *nothing* to do with each
> other.

  Sorry, but I still don't get it - who is defining what is correct and what is not? And why?

> When you're not doing trivial stuff, the traditional mix-code-and-html
> approach fails miserably at:
>
> - Easy to maintain;
> - Easy to extend;
> - Doesn't have any holes.

  Why it fails here? Why it doesn't fail for me? Or some other people? Sure there are always poor coders who could fail anything, but not everyone.

> And it also causes this to become a bigger and bigger problem as a project
> progresses:
>
> - Easy to understand;

  As long as you follow some simple rules when coding, nothing bad happens. On the other hand, there always people who don't understand your code, and you - theirs.

  What is difficult for you, may be piece of cake for someone else, and vice versa - it is all bound to how your barin works :) Some people easily and in few minutes do sophisticated stuff in languages like BrainFuck, while for me that will be
exactly what name of this language means.

  Exactly the same thing applies to web development (and any development) - is it easy to understand or not, depends on who is trying to understand.

  And no, you simply cannot make something very complex so easy that anyone will understand it like you (the author) do.

> All of that, in turn, makes this MUCH, MUCH harder than it would otherwise
> be:
>
> - Does its job well (according to specifications);

  I know personally at least one project, which fail miserably in many, many points - but does it's job *very* well for more than 10 years. How is this linked then?

  Or, look at djb code (qmail & co) - the code itself is terrible, still, one of the most used - and less buggy that many "well designed" and "good practiced" projects.

  The only example of good code and good practice that I ever knew is cryptlib, though this is not exactly related to web development...

/Alexander