Error: 'this' is only defined in non-static member functions, not parse

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jan 17 10:40:47 PST 2012

On Tuesday, January 17, 2012 19:13:02 Matej Nanut wrote:
> I've been thinking on getting that for a while now. How up to date is it?
> Or does it explain such general concepts that I shouldn't be worried
> about that at all? Everyone seems to be recommending it so I don't see
> why I shouldn't get it. A free university period is also coming up, so that
> might be a great way to spend my available time.

If anything, it's _too_ up-to-date. There are a few relatively minor changes
which have been made to the language since its release (e.g. weak vs strong
purity and attribute inference for templated functions), but for the most
part if TDPL doesn't match what dmd is doing, it's because features aren't
fully implemented yet which should be (e.g. alias this works, but according to
TDPL, you should be able to have multiple alias this-es per type - which you
can't currently do). There has been a recent push though to fix the remaining
issues where the compiler doesn't yet match TDPL.

I actually think that TDPL is the best programming language book that I've
ever read. It's very well written and _way_ more informative than the rather
sparse online documentation. I'd been programming in D for a while when I read
it, and there were all kinds of stuff in there that I didn't know about. I
really think that it's a must have for any serious D programmer.

- Jonathan M Davis

P.S. TDPL's errata is here: http://erdani.com/tdpl/errata/