License of RosettaCode examples (for bearophile:-)

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Sep 17 06:37:33 PDT 2013

On 17/09/13 15:18, bearophile wrote:
> Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
>
>> I have a specific interest in your circular queue implementation:
>> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Queue/Usage#Faster_Version
>
> If you restrict your desires to just one D program, instead of
> the about one thousand of Rosettacode the situation becomes
> _much_ simpler :-)

Very true. :-)  I'm sorry for not being sufficiently specific straight away, but
I thought the general question might be of interest.

I did try and write you a personal email about the specific code earlier today,
before even writing to the list, but your given email address doesn't work.  I
take it that I need to make some manual tweaks to what appears in the Reply:
field ... ?

> I wrote that D code myself because Phobos still lacks a queue,
> but the original idea of growable circular queues is decades old.
> For Phobos I suggest a different and more complex implementation
> (dynamic array of pointers to freelist-linked fixed sized chunks).

I made use of it ... because Phobos still lacks a queue. :-P  And I'll surely
use Phobos' queue in its place once that is implemented.

> I have put that code only on Rosettacode, and in an archive in my
> site. I am willing to release it to public domain if you want :-)
> But what do you want me exactly to do? :-)

Well, I guess the best thing would be just to write here, "I license the code
under the terms of the Boost license" or something similar (public domain is in
some ways less good because not every jurisdiction recognizes it, but as far as
I'm concerned it's fine too).  I'm just looking for something that I can
reference to say the code is used under these terms.

If you could add such a notice to the copy on your own site and on RosettaCode
it would be even better because that means that it's then clear to everyone what
the use terms of the code are (I think RosettaCode allows you to add more
permissive licenses to your code submissions, no?).  But that's up to you.  An
explicit permission here is all I'm really looking for.

Whatever you decide, thanks very much for being so understanding and
accommodating.  I'm very embarrassed about this, it is very unlike me to neglect
code licensing in this way. :-(

Thanks & best wishes,

      -- Joe