Startup files for STM32F4xx

Mike via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 24 18:06:15 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 25 April 2015 at 00:33:26 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

>> http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&keywords=stm32f429+discovery
>
> This is super tempting @ $24. As someone who is not used to
> tinkering with raw hardware, how does one power this thing?
> I've tinkered with SBCs, but those had full-blown Linux. What
> hardware is necessary to get this thing running?
>
> -Steve

It's powered from your PC's USB port (Using one right now,
actually).  No extra hardware is needed unless you want to add
features beyond what the board provides. Due to its large number
of pins, and the way they are arranged, they don't plug into
breadboards, but you can easily use jumper wires for that:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/153.

I have a basic D demo for this board here:
https://github.com/JinShil/stm32f42_discovery_demo.  It's just a
blinky app at the moment, but it does all the work of configuring
the clocks, flash, etc... before calling the "main" function.

There's quite a few "Discovery" boards from ST
(http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/FM116/SC959/SS1532/LN1848?icmp=ln1848_pron_pr-stm32f446_dec2014&sc=stm32discovery-pr)
as well as boards from other manufacturers
(http://www.mikroe.com/stm32/development-boards/).

It's quite exciting to see Jens's work and the expressed interest
in using D for this domain.  I hope to see more.

Mike