Speeding up text file parser (BLAST tabular format)

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 14 10:08:31 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 04:13:12PM +0000, Edwin van Leeuwen via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Monday, 14 September 2015 at 14:54:34 UTC, Fredrik Boulund wrote:
> >[...] I tried using the built-in profiler in DMD on the D program but
> >to no avail. I couldn't really make any sense of the output other
> >than that were enormous amounts of calls to lots of functions I
> >couldn't find a way to remove from the code. Here's a paste of the
> >trace output from the version I posted in the original post:
> >http://dpaste.com/1AXPK9P
> >

> See this link for clarification on what the columns/numbers in the
> profile file mean
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/f9gjmo$2gce$1@digitalmars.com
>
> It is still difficult to parse though. I myself often use sysprof
> (only available on linux), which automatically ranks by time spent.

Dmd's profiler has some limitations, especially if you're doing
something that's CPU bound for a long time (its internal counters are
not wide enough and may overflow -- I have run into this before and it
made it unusable for me). I highly recommend using `gdc -pg` with gprof.

Only boring people get bored. -- JM