Properties don't work as expected

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 5 06:37:50 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 at 13:14:29 UTC, zodd wrote:
> Why do you have so pessimistic opinion?

it is realistic.

> Is D a perspective language to learn or it's stagnating and
> never be production ready?

what do you want here: "non-stagnating" or "production ready"? D
is "production ready", and that means that D should be STABLE. we
can't introduce features just 'cause they are cool. we can't even
change the features without long and hard discussion. if we'll
finalize property specs, we'll stick with it forever. and devs
have many other things to do too, most of it for free and in
their spare time. that's why finalizing properties is postponed,
for undefined time.

you *can* workaround this limitation for now. it won't be the
cleanest code in the world, but you can do it. hint: alias this +
returning temporary struct with pointer.

and, of course, you can hire Walter or Andrei on a full time to
implement the feature you want. otherwise -- this is minor thing,
which, nevertheless, require a huge amout of design work. it is
unlikely that language devs will drop all other things, and go
design and implementing it. and DIP will not help much: W&A still
should evaluate it, and it's almost as hard as writing it from
scratch.

if this minor thing blocks you from using D... alas. otherwise,
just make a workaroung and keep going. *eventually* this will be
fixed, but you'd better don't wait for it.