dlang.org using apache?

dewitt via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 8 10:22:16 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 17:05:42 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 15:51:58 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 15:05:54 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>> wrote:
>>> The forum-index http header report:
>>>
>>> Server:nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)
>>>
>>> People check out stuff like that.
>>
>> Yeah, and that's an industry-standard production deployment.
>>
>> But perhaps we should just change the server line for the
>> people who do look at it. No need to change the deployment,
>> just the apache/nginx config to spit out something different.
>
> I can picture the article now:
>
>> The D programming language maintains its own web framework
>> called vibe.d, but the official website dlang.org doesn't use
>> it.  Instead they use the Apache framework written in C.  They
>> also decided to modify Apache to make it look like their own
>> vibe.d framework.  Apparently tricking people into thinking
>> they use their own code was easier the actually using it.

A lot of languages have a web framework that sits behind a server
written in a different language.  .NET powers a ton of sites and
applications and usually runs on IIS which is written in C++.
Also if I were to use vibe then I would prolly run it behind a
reverse proxy like nginx.  This is actually pretty standard way
of deploying apps like say a Django, Flask, etc.... Nothing wrong
with that and that by no means makes Python a useless language
for the web.  Even Digital Oceans guide for Node and Python apps
have you setup nginx as a reverse proxy.  Also Plays uguide shows
how to setup nginx as a proxy.