dlang.org using apache?

Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 8 10:55:41 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 17:43:03 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 17:05:42 UTC, Jonathan Marler
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 15:51:58 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

>>> Yeah, and that's an industry-standard production deployment.
>>>
>>> But perhaps we should just change the server line for the
>>> people who do look at it. No need to change the deployment,
>>> just the apache/nginx config to spit out something different.
>>
>> I can picture the article now:
>>
>>> The D programming language maintains its own web framework
>>> called vibe.d, but the official website dlang.org doesn't use
>>> it.  Instead they use the Apache framework written in C.
>>> They also decided to modify Apache to make it look like their
>>> own vibe.d framework.  Apparently tricking people into
>>> thinking they use their own code was easier the actually
>>> using it.
>
> Mike's call for help was about actively _improving_ dlang.org
> by pointing out
>
> - what is (or could be) confusing for newcomers
> - bad written texts
> - missing examples
> - not user-friendly parts of the documentation
> - missing info
> - ...
>
> Basically everything that could stop someone from having
> awesome first five minutes with D!

Great points to make dlang.org more welcoming.  Where it is now
is much further ahead then years past.

I read your post but I don't think we in any disagreement.  I
think everyone can agree that it would look better to others if
dlang.org used it's own web framework.  Whether or not it makes
sense to actually implement it is another question.  Since I'm
not intimately familiar with the internals of dlang.org, or the
consequences of switching, I don't assert that either way would
be better.  I am, however, pointing out that there are going to
be poeple trying to share the D language in a negative light, and
dlang.org not using vibe is exactly the kind of thing these
people will feed off of and possibly use to turn off others from
the language.