Fix gtkD api display

Mike Wey via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 10 07:55:06 PDT 2017

On 10-08-17 15:57, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 August 2017 at 14:02:09 UTC, Mike Wey wrote:
>> One issue is the shear size of the generated documentation, though the
>> current version of ddox no longer generates a ton of unused files
>> bringing the size down from 15-20GB to a mere 2GB.
>
> what?! I'm not actually sure how much gtk alone takes, but my entire doc
> folder is 4 GB, including a good chunk of the dub repo, phobos,
> druntime, my stuff, search indexes, archives, etc.
>
> I guess it is possible the gtkd is 2 GB of that, but at least it isn't 20.

The problem was that there are a few large classes at the start of the
hierarchy, and with the old version of ddox the function pages would not
only be generated for the base class, but also for all the derived classes.

So when you have a base class with 264 functions, and you have 385
classes that are directly or indirectly derived from it.
Things start to add up, That is 101_640 html pages just for this one
case, and there are more.

Luckily this is fixed, especially because ddox never actually linked to
these pages.

>> The need to go trough the empty module page when browsing the
>> documentation. For a lot / most? functions the complete documentation
>> is in the overview defeating the purpose of the one page per artifact.
>
> If you guys are interested, I can do a custom adrdox for gtk that:
>
> * reads more of the gtk syntax
> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk-doc-manual/stable/documenting_syntax.html.en
>

> * recognizes the one-item-per-module pattern and skips the empty pages
>
> * has a style more like https://gtkd.org/index.html
>
> * Maybe a few other little things?

That would be great.

>> And im not a big fan of the one page per artifact style of documentation.
>
> Oh, it is so much better in a lot of ways.

I don't use the documentation myself so this isn't really a problem.

--
Mike Wey