Clarify "Starting as a Contributor" document

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Mon Dec 11 23:56:16 UTC 2017

On Monday, 11 December 2017 at 06:43:46 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 12/10/2017 12:36 AM, Seb wrote:
>
> > [...]
> is no harm
> > [...]
>
> Thanks. I don't care anymore. :)
>
> >> [...]
> should have
> >> [...]
> a comment
> >> [...]
> necessary
> >> [...]
> message should
> > [...]
> second part
> > [...]
> opened a PR and
> > [...]
> message.
>
> So, the last sentence should be something like "The rebase
> allows you an extra opportunity to mention the Bugzilla issue
> if your original commit did not already mention it."?

Yes.

> > [...]
> commit message.
> > [...]
>
> It was helpful but not for that specific question.
>
> > [...]
>
> There is the following part:
>
> <quote>
> First, fork the github repository or repositories you'd like to
> contribute to (dmd, druntime, phobos etc) by navigating to
> their respective pages on github.com and clicking "Fork". Then,
> set up your local git repository to reflect that. For example,
> consider you want to contribute to phobos and have forked it.
> Then run these commands:
>
>   cd ~/code/phobos
>   git remote add myfork https://github.com/username/phobos.git
>   git remote update
> </quote>
>
> That sequence does not work because apparently code/phobos must
> already be a git repo but the text does not explain where it
> comes from. So, I added three commands to the sequence and it
> seemed to work:
>
>   mkdir -p ~/code/phobos   # <-- 1
>   git init                 # <-- 2
>   cd ~/code/phobos
>   git remote add myfork https://github.com/<USERNAME>/phobos.git
>   git remote update
>   git pull myfork master   # <-- 3
>
> Was I correct?

Well, the typical behavior is to set your fork as origin and
upstream as `upstream`.
Also instead of git init etc., you can do a git clone directly.

> Of course, it would be better to explain how one gains
> code/phobos.

That's what the building from source section should do:

https://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor#Building_from_source

However, I reworked the guide a bit to allow both options.

> I think that section should include setting up both the
> upstream repo and the myfork repo. I think a contributor would
> regularly be using both.

Agreed. I tried to improve the contribution guide today.
Did my changes help or are you still missing something or isn't
fully explained?

> Ali
>
> P.S. As I mentioned recently on this newsgroup, the general
> lack of information on the two repos, "upstream" and "personal
> fork", were the most detrimental to my understanding of git
> workflows. We do that in our document but I think setting up
> "upstream" should be a part of the command sequence above.

I added this to the document. Thanks for pointing it out!