Hello, folks! Newbie to D, have some questions!

timmyjose via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 19 03:30:33 PST 2017

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 at 22:17:30 UTC, berni wrote:
> I'm new here too (never heard of D before 2017).

Glad to meet someone else new here! :-)

>> c). The whole community seems infused with both the
>> Feminism/SJW
>
> I didn't tried out Rust, but that would draw me away too.
> (Incidentally it was a comment on alternatives for Rust, that
> pointed me to D.)

Absolutely! At first it didn't bother me so much, but when I
started hanging out of the Rust user groups, I saw the evil side
of this. People who raised this issues were being castigated and
publicly ridiculed. That was too much even for me (I'm usually
the "live and let live" kind of person) because it showed that
the community over there appeared more interested in such side
issues than focusing on building up a community based on
technical sharing and solving technical problems. Very offputting.

>> 2. I am also curious as to what would be the best path for a
>> complete beginner to D to learn it effectively?
>
> I started with the online version of the book of Ali Çehreli
> but after a while I decided to buy it and was impressed on its
> size (more than 700 pages!). Meanwhile I'm halfway through.

Hehe. I'm also doing the same... a few chapters in and it's
smooth sailing so far!

> At the same time I'm working on a project of mine, which I just
> started writing in C++ last december, because I couldn't find a
> better language and thought I had to bite the bullet. Meanwhile
> it's completely rewritten in D (but two lines of C code that I
> need to use a C-libraray). Whenever I came across a new concept
> in the book I tried to refactor that project using this concept.

Very nice! :-)

> This approach worked very well for me. (And I appreciate this
> Learn-forum, because else I'd not dare to ask my seemingly
> silly questions.)
>
> You wrote:
>> ... area thoroughly!The introspection ...
>
> I just realised, how much I'm thinking in D allready when I saw
> this: At first glance I wondered, what this thoroughly-template
> is about... ;-)

Hahaha!