Hello, folks! Newbie to D, have some questions!

timmyjose via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 19 03:38:16 PST 2017

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 at 21:51:34 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> Dne 18.2.2017 v 21:15 timmyjose via Digitalmars-d-learn
> napsal(a):
>
>> [...]
> Hi, welcome in D community

Thank you! I'm glad to be part of this excellent community!

>>[...]
>
> Yes, by default D use GC. And yes there is a some part of D
> standard library which uses GC. But it is something you can
> avoid if you want. I am using D for many years and for almost
> anything and never have issue with GC.
>
>> [...]
>
> D stability is good, really good, for many of us too good :P. I
> have been using D for many years (five or six). And right now
> there is a big effort to never break anything until it makes
> really sense.

That makes sense.

> OTOH D development is quite fast. So there are many
> improvements with every release

That sounds very good indeed!

>> [...]
> I can't help here because I am using D for a long time, so I do
> not remember how I have learned it.

Hahaha! Yes, thanks for the honesty. It does make sense because
once you've been working in some field for some time, it does
make it harder to explain how exactly you reached that level. In
that regard, comments from fellow newbies (such as berni) have
been quite helpful since they're at the same stage as me.

>> [...]
>
> It is maybe not small-scale but idiomatic D code is in phobos
> itself.

Interesting! I checked out the link that ag0aep6g had shared, and
I realised that Phobos is the name of the standard library
itself. It should make for some interesting reading once I get
the basics down.

>> [...]
> I do not know Lisp macros, but AFAIK there are not semantically
> similar. OTOH D metaprogramming is really powerful and there
> has been some proposals to improve that
> https://wiki.dlang.org/DIP50

Indeed. I'm very much looking forward to learning this powerful
template system very well!