Why is stdio ... stdio?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Nov 9 18:14:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 05:36:54PM +0000, Chris Katko via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> FYI, Allegro.CC just uses
>
> <code>
> int main()
>  {
>  return 0;
>  }
> </code>
>
> as well as <pre> for pre-formatted "monospace" text.
>
> Neither of those would pollute a mailing list in plain-text mode
> because they'd exist only at the start and end of code. I'm sure you
> had no problem reading my above code.

I find those HTML-like tags very distracting.  Markdown has a far
less-intrusive syntax:

````
int main()
{
    return 0;
}
````

I wouldn't mind having the web interface interpret messages as markdown,
actually.  Mainly because I won't be seeing it. :-D

But as someone has already pointed out, writing emphases like _this_ and
bold like *this* is already established convention, and markdown was
designed precisely to pick up on these kinds of conventions, so it could
be added to the web forum without requiring anyone to change the way
they type their messages, and it would be readable to everyone.

I am Ohm of Borg. Resistance is voltage over current.