Why is stdio ... stdio?

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Mon Nov 12 10:10:37 UTC 2018

On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 06:42:37 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:25:45 PM MST Neia Neutuladh via
> Digitalmars- d-learn wrote:
>> It's not a forum. It's a newsgroup that happens to have a web
>> interface. Newsgroups are text-only. So bbcode is out, html is
>> out, but interpreting markdown might be reasonable. But
>> nobody's done that work.
>
> Honestly, having markdown in messages being typical would be
> _really_ annoying for those of us not using the web interface,
> because we'd see all of those backticks and the like as
> backticks, not as syntax highlighting. It would be like seeing
> html, albeit far less intrusive. I for one would much rather
> that things just stay as pure text and that we not be adding
> any features to the web interface that encourages adding _any_
> kind of markup to messages. The web interface makes it easier
> for folks who don't want to use a newsgroup or mailing list to
> interact with the newsgroup, but it's still a newsgroup, and
> _many_ of us use it as such.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I just want to say everyone who doesn't use the web-interface has
to look at markdown anyway because people still write code in
backticks etc. despite no support; even I do that.

Using markdown without support to me is not so much about whether
it should be highlighted or not, but just that you can separate
content from code in your message.

Similar to how signatures are usually separated by 3 or more
slashes and then a new line:

Ex:

---

Some signature