Setting up Dlang Environment

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Sat Aug 17 21:26:27 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 at 20:42:41 UTC, Mike Brown wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've tried installing and setting up Dlang a few times now. I'm
> struggling to get it reliable and to a decent environment in
> place.
>
> I don't really want to make this thread about specific issues -
> Id very much like to know if there's a decent tutorial or guide
> to setup Dlang?
>
> * I'd like to get the basic's down solid (One of my issues is a
> linker issue on release but not debug, etc)
>
> * A decent IDE which allows debugging, understanding the stack
> traces, step through etc?
>
> * The package management, Should I be using DUB or doing
> packaging etc with make files etc?
>
> I appriciate some of this is down to choice, but an idiots
> guide and recommended practises - to setting up the above so I
> can just get on with coding would be great.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Which OS do you target? Setting up DMD on e.g. Ubuntu is just
installing package build-essentials and installing the dmd deb
file.
On Windows you just extract the 7z file and add the bin path to
th PATH environment variable.

I tried so far IntelliJ IDEA and Visual Studio Code. Both are
multi platform and free to use. Both supports debugging but here
the details really depends on your OS.
For Visual Studio Code there are even different D plugins
available. I used vscode-dlang and it was just a fantastic
experience.
(I still prefer the kind of development flow IntelliJ provides,
but Intellij D support is more complex to setup).

If you target Windows, there is also Visual Studio, this plugin
has no dub integration as far as I know.

Kind regards
Andre