Meta question - what about moving the D - Learn Forum to a seperate StackExchange platform?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Oct 18 14:22:29 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 13:30:37 UTC, Martin Tschierschke
wrote:
> On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 12:51:35 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 07:35:21 UTC, Martin
>> Tschierschke wrote:
>>> If I search for what ever, not related to D, I very often end
>>> with a solution
>>> found on one of the StackExchange forums like StackOverflow
>>> or AskUbuntu etc.
>>>
>>> The main advantage is, that all answers can be classified
>>> (up/down voted, moderated etc.)
>>> This is much better than finding something in the D-Learn
>>> Forum where it is difficult to see,
>>> if several answers are given are they still valid, especially
>>> if they are some years old.
>>>
>>> I know that this was asked in the D survey and I think it
>>> should be on the table again.
>>>
>>> If we unite for this idea, it should be possible to start an
>>> own "DExchange" sub platform.
>>>
>>> Best regards mt.
>>
>> You can already ask questions on SO. What you are proposing is
>> to close this forum, require registration to ask a question,
>> and let JavaScript developers close questions and treat new
>> users rudely. That doesn't seem like a good idea. The fact
>> that most questions get asked here rather than on SO now
>> suggests that there isn't much demand for SO.
>
> I am not for moving just to StackOverflow, but to make an own
> "DExchange" / "AskD" or what ever named learn platform with and
> inside the StackExchange [1] technology. This should keep D
> users together and would avoid mixing with other languages. But
> I am not sure if this is really achievable for us.
>
> [1] https://stackexchange.com/sites#

But then users would have to register for a new site, even if
they already have a SO account. That would greatly reduce the
number willing to ask questions. I don't have a problem with
doing that (and you certainly can do so without asking anyone)
but I strongly oppose shutting down D.learn.