Any 3D Game or Engine with examples/demos which just work (compile&run) out of the box on linux ?

Prokop Hapala prokophapala at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 17:46:09 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 19 October 2019 at 01:53:11 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 October 2019 at 00:57:48 UTC, Prokop Hapala
> wrote:
>> The dmech/demos also seems to be almost running just it
>> somehow cannot find or use my libsdl.so library which it just
>> compiled (it is in 'dmech/demos/lib')
>
>> derelict.util.exception.SharedLibLoadException at derelict/util/exception.d(43): Failed to load one or more shared libraries:
>> 	./lib/libsdl.so - ./lib/libsdl.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
>

> The problem is there in the error message. You have a 32-bit
> version of SDL, but you're compiling a 64-bit app. You need the
> 64-bit SDL.

Aha, my bad. Great! It works now.

I just replace binary libs in /dmech/demos/lib/ subdir by links
to my system ones (
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6.15.0 and
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4 )
I just put there link to `` It works now. Great.

Now I comparing dmech in comparison with Rust's
https://github.com/rustsim/nphysics/ and I have to say I like
dmech much more.
  - dmech is much faster to compile ( nphysics takes 3 minutes in
debug and fucking 20 minutes in release )
  - dmech code is much smaller and easier to understand. Actually
dmech is perhaps the cleanest and easiest to understand physics
engine I ever seen. (I was looking on Bullet and Newton before).
Perhaps there is less functionality and optimalizations, but that
is exactly what I search - something didactic an easy to get -
Keep-it-simpple.

Thanks a lot.