Any 3D Game or Engine with examples/demos which just work (compile&run) out of the box on linux ?

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 22:48:25 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 06:11:37 UTC, Ferhat Kurtulmuş
wrote:
> On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 05:52:19 UTC, Prokop Hapala wrote:
>> Already >1 year I consider to move from C++ to Dlang or to
>> Rust in my hobby game development (mostly based on physical
>> simulations
>> https://github.com/ProkopHapala/SimpleSimulationEngine). I
>> probably prefer Dlang because it compiles much faster, and I
>> can copy&paste C/C++ code to it without much changes.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I cannot make any comment for others. But Dagon should work. I
> wrote a very little demo game some time ago
> https://github.com/aferust/dagon-shooter. I didn't try to
> compile and run it on Linux.I think you need to have a
> nuklear.so in your path, since Bindbc loaders try to load
> dynamic libraries by default.

This is what I get when I clone dagon-shooter and build it with
"dub":

WARNING: A deprecated branch based version specification is used
for the dependency dagon. Please use numbered versions instead.
Also note that you can still use the dub.selections.json file to
override a certain dependency to use a branch instead.
WARNING: A deprecated branch based version specification is used
for the dependency bindbc-soloud. Please use numbered versions
instead. Also note that you can still use the dub.selections.json
file to override a certain dependency to use a branch instead.
Performing "debug" build using
C:\tools\dmd.2.088.1.windows\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd.exe for x86_64.
bindbc-loader 0.2.1: target for configuration "noBC" is up to
date.
bindbc-soloud ~master: target for configuration "library" is up
to date.
bindbc-opengl 0.8.0: target for configuration "dynamic" is up to
date.
bindbc-sdl 0.8.0: target for configuration "dynamic" is up to
date.
dlib 0.17.0-beta1: target for configuration "library" is up to
date.
dagon ~master: target for configuration "library" is up to date.
dagon-shooter ~master: building configuration "application"...
source\enemy.d(10,1): Error: undefined identifier EntityController
source\enemy.d(16,19): Error: function
enemyctrl.EnemyController.update does not override any function
source\enemy.d(48,1): Error: undefined identifier EntityController
source\enemy.d(77,19): Error: function
enemyctrl.BoomController.update does not override any function
source\mainscene.d(80,17): Error: undefined identifier LightSource
source\mainscene.d(82,21): Error: undefined identifier
FirstPersonView
source\mainscene.d(93,16): Error: undefined identifier NuklearGUI
source\mainscene.d(95,15): Error: undefined identifier FontAsset
source\mainscene.d(102,5): Error: undefined identifier
SceneManager
source\mainscene.d(128,19): Error: function
mainscene.MainScene.onAssetsRequest does not override any function
source\mainscene.d(198,19): Error: function
mainscene.MainScene.onAllocate does not override any function
source\mainscene.d(469,19): Error: function void
mainscene.MainScene.onUpdate(double dt) does not override any
function, did you mean to override void
dagon.resource.scene.Scene.onUpdate(Time t)?
source\mainscene.d(541,1): Error: undefined identifier
SceneApplication
C:\tools\dmd.2.088.1.windows\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd.exe failed with
exit code 1.