Good way let low-skill people edit CSV files with predefined row names?

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 17:52:06 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 24 October 2019 at 17:41:21 UTC, Dukc wrote:

> This was wrong: Atila's Excel-d enables writing plugin
> functions, but not reading the spreadsheets. There are other
> DUB utilities for that, though.
>
> I quess I will give my employer two options: Either the price
> variables are in an one-column CSV and I distribute the key
> column separately so they don't mess it up, or I take my time
> to do a GUI solution.
>
> Unless somebody has better ideas?

It seems to me that Excel forgets these settings for csv files. I
tried locking/protecting some rows and it works fine when it is
open, but then Excel forgets it when you save/close/reopen, which
makes some sense when you think about it. So you'd have to give
up the csv and use xlsx if your users were doing it with Excel.

Another solution might be to create another file type that like a
csv+. However, you'd have to then have a way to open said csv+,
which brings you back to the GUI situation.