Master Thesis using D Programming language.

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 20:39:59 UTC 2020

On Monday, 24 August 2020 at 19:56:49 UTC, Tariq Siddiqui wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am looking for a master thesis topic using D Programming
> language. Earlier I choose Design by Introspection, but I did
> not find enough material in academic journals. DbI total
> material which I found is DConf Andrei talk and the similar
> talk at Google campus, which starts with 50 Deutsche Mark story
> and ends with explaining PbD, DbI and other Dlang internals. No
> doubt that Andrei's discussion was great. DbI as a topic is
> excellent, but as per my university requirements, I was not
> able to find five articles in the last five years in any
> academic journal, to start the initial discussion about the
> research topic.
>
> I am still opened with my topic, next week, I have to submit my
> draft proposal. Till now, I did not meet my dissertation
> advisor.
>
> I am looking for something practical and less theoretical. I
> have found some thesis done using Rust, you guys as a language
> expert can these below projects be achievable using D
> Programming language.
>
> http://www.barrelfish.org/publications/ma-foellmic-bfrust.pdf
> https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1238890/FULLTEXT01.pdf
> https://github.com/Gankra/thesis/blob/master/thesis.pdf
>
> Regards,
> Tariq Siddiqui.

Well, what would you like to study? Generally, the thesis will be
of a topic that is (a) great interest to you and (b) has room for
improvement in the field.

The theses you listed cover OS development, memory safe kernel
programming, and safety generally, respectively. Is this the area
you wish to work in?  What about other areas, such as
concurrency, message passing, high performance, Type Theory, etc.?

You mentioned Design by Introspection hard to find material
about. What if you broaden this a bit and consider the topic of
metaprogramming more generally?

Best of luck to you