wanting to try a GUI toolkit: needing some advice on which one to choose

someone someone at somewhere.com
Tue Jun 1 15:38:51 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 1 June 2021 at 10:53:54 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> It is tempting to think that UI-specification is a mature
> field, but apparently not. It is still evolving.

It is a mature field, they peaked in the late 90s early 00s. What
came afterwards was mainly decoration/cosmetics because the
hardware evolved to being able to handle it. But the concepts,
what a combo-box is, how it works, etc, remained set on stone. Of
course new controls were invented but most of them were for
corner-cases or things quite specific like a UI for a pro-audio
console mixer.

> I think the best approach is to create an UI for a specific
> application and then later turn it into a library. Then one at
> least have experience and can sort out weak spots before
> handing it to others.

I second that providing you use a language like C/C++/D/Rust but
not something more high-level. One thing is UI
design/specifications, and the other, the implementation is quite
a different matter: native vs CSS-style driven etc ... this is
where things starts to making conflicts.

> Maybe if DPlug had more users something interesting would
> emerge? DPlug is the only framework I find interesting with D
> right now.

Will look for it, didn't know of it till now.