Install D lang on Windows 10 : an installation step by step tutorial made by a beginner who loves D !

Anonymouse zorael at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:02:18 UTC 2022

On Monday, 18 April 2022 at 09:04:24 UTC, Dennis wrote:
> What went wrong when you used the DMD installer? Installing
> Visual Studio should not be necessary, since DMD ships with the
> lld linker and MinGW Windows import libraries. If it doesn't
> work out of the box, it should be fixed.

"Download and install Visual Studio 2019" is preselected in the
installer, so you have to know to pick "Install VC2010
redistributables to use it with the MinGW Platform libraries" to
opt out. I guess it's not *necessary* but it certainly encourages
new users to install it.

(I'd subjectively argue the VC2010/MinGW option should be the
default, the whole of VS2019 is a very hefty download and not my
IDE of choice.)