Parameters declared as the alias of a template won't accept the arguments of the same type.

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon May 2 04:16:53 UTC 2022

On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 00:54:40 UTC, Elfstone wrote:

> Thanks. This breaks a lot of things. I don't know the reason
> behind the postponing, but who would expect one can't declare a
> parameter with an alias if it's a template?! Speaking of
> inconsistency.

At the bottom of the DIP you can find a link to the first
community review round and a summary of the feedback. You'll see
the DIP author decided he needed to do more work on the it.

Ultimately, he decided he didn't have a deep enough understanding
to complete the DIP without some research, but he was too busy to
make that investment. I suggested we mark it as postponed until
he could come back to it. Reviewing our conversation, he was
willing to someone else taking it over. So if anyone is willing,
I don't need to wait on a response from him to make that happen.

> I'm sure there are bigger issues out there to be solved, but
> it's quite disencouraging if such a significant improvement(or
> rather fix) stays ignored.

Everyone rates issues differently. What's significant to one
person won't be to another. There is much, much work to be done
on shoring up holes in existing systems and solving problems the
language maintainers believe to be significant, but resources are
limited. So some things will inevitably be left to one side until
someone picks them up.

For issues that are bugs or minor enhancements, we now have
Razvan Nitu and Dennis Korpel in part-time positions funded by
Symmetry Investments. They manage our issues database and our
pull request queues. You can always ping one of them about any
particular issue that doesn't require a DIP. This has been a huge
change for the better. It means issues and PRs are much less
likely to stagnate.

For something like your issue, which is a modification of the
specification, a DIP is required. And that means either writing
one or finding someone willing to write one and see it through to
the end of the process. This isn't like managing bugs and pull
requests. We simply don't have enough people on board to work on
things like this. So it has to be done by interested parties in
the community.

I wouldn't expect you to take over DIP 1023 yourself since you're
new to the language, but if it's important enough to you, perhaps
you can find someone to champion it, given a little time. Maybe
the original author would be willing to pick it up again.