Intel Based Macs and DMD?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 04:44:53 PST 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> John Reimer wrote:
>
>> If you had access to an intel machine (not a mac), you could just get
>> the vmplayer and try it yourself, no?
>
> Thanks for this suggestion! This "VMWare Player" is really nice with
> premade images, might even consider getting VMWare Workstation now...
> (still using Virtual PC, I'm afraid, which didn't want to run Darwin)

It is a great tool.  I purchased VMWare Workstation a year or two ago
and have not regretted the purchase.  You can even boot OS's off a real
drive from inside a virtual machine.  I love the USB support too.
Inside Linux, if you plug a USB drive into a USB port while the vm is in
focus, that drive gets automatically detected and mounted within the VM
client.

> However, new Darwin 8 is *much* less polished than what Darwin 7 was.
> This is probably because OpenDarwin has run into some "troubles"...
> (see the recent story http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200602/apple.html)

8 is much less polished?  Wow, that's strange. I'll have to read the
story behind that.  Thanks for the link.

> I'm just going to quote some starter commands here, rest is off-topic:
> ifconfig en1 192.168.13.100
> route add default 192.168.13.2
> echo 'nameserver 192.168.13.2' > /etc/resolv.conf
>
> So I see why you had problems with it, I can't even get DNS to work!
> (above *should* do the trick, but only works with dig - not curl ?)
> But playing with the /etc/hosts file, I at least got DarwinPorts up.

Well, I hadn't much of a clue how to set these things up.  I know very
little of Darwin and the BSD's (although I've played a little with
FreeBSD in the past).  I imagine there are wikis or tutorials online
somewhere for setting things up, but it doesn't look at all easy.

> DarwinPorts is at http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/, it has X11:
> http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/downloads/DarwinPorts-1.2.tar.gz
> port -d selfupdate && port install xorg

Hmm... Interesting.  Good to know. I may actually try this eventually.
Thank you.

> Setting up the rest of Darwin/X86 is not really interesting here,
> so I will just post later on if I get GDC 0.17 tried out on it...
> But it won't really be useful for any Mac OS X testing, it seems.
>
> --anders

Yes, please tell me if you are successful.

-JJR