D vs Java

U.Baumanis U.Baumanis_member at pathlink.com
Sun Mar 19 04:09:06 PST 2006

In article <dvitlk$2848$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew Fedoniouk says...

>> I don't agree about GUI - Java GUI (Swing) is very strong. There is no
>> comparable alternative in D (yet). Don't tell me about DWT. ;)
>
>There are no real GUI Applications using Swing either :)
>
>So score: 1:1.
>
>Your turn.
>
>Andrew.

Well, there are hundreds of Java/Swing applications. :)
Take a look at http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/sightings/
Yes, Swing has steep learning curve, but it is well designed and very flexible.
Actually it is my choice Nr.1 for GUI apps and I would like to have something
similar in D standard library (?may be based on Cairo graphics?). People who
thinks that Java/Swing is too slow reads Slashdot too much or probably tryed
Java in last centuary. ;)
Another think what I really miss in D is a JDBC's type interface to databases.
On the other hand D is small, compact, powerful, has better interface to C and
somehow gives again good feeling like in old C days. :)

Absence of IDE for D is not so big problem as lack of good standard libraries
(gui, db, comm, etc.) And this is one thing what keeps D off of using in big
projects. You cannot fully concentrate on problem domain.

--
ub