D vs Java

james james_member at pathlink.com
Tue Mar 21 04:41:48 PST 2006

In article <dvnse4$1pq8$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Lucas Goss says...

>Sean Kelly wrote:
>> ...  Though it's worth mentioning that one of the
>> motivating factors in my decision is which OS has the best games ;-)
>>

>Yeah, that was tough for me. I left Windows for Linux about two years
>ago, but there are a few benefits. One, I spend more time programming
>now then on games. Which is good because I need to make some demos or
>games so I can get hired by (or start) a game company. And two, the
>windows platform is saturated with games, whereas Mac and Linux could
>use some help (so it might be easier to break into the market there).
>
>My only problem with Linux is that most people expect free software, and
>there isn't really an easy way to distribute paid software (and
>packaging software seems like a pain). So hopefully I'll be getting a
>Mac soon. Only no dmd... doh!

Interesing point. I think the "Free Software" model is flawed. Programmers need
to get paid. Apple with OSX have shown that people are willing to pay for a
decent integrated experience - at a reasonable price. eg iLife and iWork are
$79. A decent biz model would be the os(kernel and desktop) is free with the app
suites paid for. With as much as the source code as possible available for
viewing to keep the techies happy. Quite franky i find it reassuring that the
company that makes things i use has a biz model - and can survive in the
longterm.