All this talk about 1.0 makes me worried.

kris foo at bar.com
Sun Mar 26 14:35:57 PST 2006

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> All this talk about 1.0 (and other stuff like slogans) makes me worried.
> People talk as if D nearing completion: There is occasionally threads
> about the coming or even requesting the release of 1.0; In a recent
> post(news://news.digitalmars.com:119/dvuc0r$19t3$1@digitaldaemon.com)
> Don Clugston comments that what's left for 1.0 is "Not much more" and
> enumerates just a few items remaining; Other people also don't mention
> much more items; And we have people finding slogans for D mentioning
> about it's uber greatness and simplicity and whatnot; ...
>
> Am I the only one to find that (even besides the library) there is still
> a long way for D to go? And I'm talking about the language itself: it's
> design and not the tools and other stuff from the environment.
> I have a list (mirrored in my wiki entry) of pending languages issues
> which I or others have reported/posted about, most of them acknowledged
> issues/problems by the core of the NG.
> A recent thread by Oskar Linde
> (news://news.digitalmars.com:119/e00v0m$te2$3@digitaldaemon.com)
> brings to attention another issue about associative arrays, which I too
> find important, and which I think are not the only issues regarding
> arrays in general.
> Many similar threads exists, (most of them I believe with not very good
> ideas), but some others are very pertinent.
> And there is a list of more issues about D that I have pending in my
> mind which I haven't yet the time to "research" and write about (which
> is the case for example of the immutability issue, want to finish
> reading that pdf about Javari).
>
> So in my opinion there is a lot of work to be done in D, and I'm not
> gonna bother thinking about 1.0 or even slogans until these are (at
> least mostly) resolved. Don't get me wrong, I already think D is a great
> language, and much better than C++ (not that hard to be though.. ), but
> much of D's greatness is still in potential only.

Right on the money. What's the hurry, anyway?

I think what's more important is a general feeling of progress. The
recent changes for 'bit' is a good example. As you say, D is a fine
langauge, with awesome potential; but it needs some rough edges cleaned
up quite badly (such as improved debugger support, the never-ending AA
concerns, and a variety of others).

I suppose many people like the idea of placing a stake in the ground ~
as means of marking/stamping progress? If so, then one would need to
ensure all features present at that point would not be subsequently
revoked (in the manner of 'bit', for example). I think that's a more
accurate measure of a "release" candiate than anything else.

- Kris