d-programming-language.org template

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri May 19 06:24:22 PDT 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Brian Hay" <bhay at construct3d.com> wrote in message
> news:446C8BA5.2090900 at construct3d.com...
>
>> Tables are for tabular data, not layouts.
>
> Of course, the main advantage for using tables for layouts?  Portability.  I
> have had so many problems getting divs to work right, or at least the same
> way, in all browsers (IE especially..).  Tables almost _always_ work the
> same way.
<snip>

Try telling that to:
- somebody using a device with a small screen on which it becomes harder
to read
- somebody using some accessibility feature that may be confused about
the structure of the content
- somebody listening to a website on a speaking browser
- a search engine robot

Moreover, even within UAs of the same kind, what matters is not that it
looks (or feels or sounds) exactly the same in them all.  What matters
is that it works in them all.

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.