Text in D article (4th revision) [OT] ha vs wa

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 01:29:27 PST 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:

> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>>
>>konnichiwa!!!!!!11one :D
>

> Actually, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be konnichiha: people keep
> spelling and saying it "konnichiwa" because westerners misheard what the
> Japanese were saying :3
>
> (Do correct me I'm wrong, btw...)

Unless my Japanese mentor was playing a prank on me (which is /entirely/ possible) its
actually a quirk thing.  While it is written "kon'ityi-ha" it is indeed pronouned
"kon'nityi-wa", as the 'ha' kana is written for the particle 'wa' for some long-forgotten
reason.  (Kind of like the archaic 'wo' kana is still used for the 'o' prefix, as in
"(w)o-genki desu-ka".)

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls