D : Not for me anymore

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Oct 16 01:49:10 PDT 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:

> IMHO, more important than having an official GUI library, would be to
> actually have _something_ right inside dmd.zip!
>
> It doesn't have to be the world and the kitchen sink, but anybody
> downloading dmd.zip should be able to write a GUI hello world simply and
> easily.

I think the best bet for *inclusion* with DMD would be MinWin ?
(it has a new home page at http://wiki.dprogramming.com/MinWin)
Tk or wx would work too (it does for Python), but they are much
bigger and I wouldn't want all of Tcl/Tk or wxWidgets included...

The only problem is that it doesn't support Mac OS X, but then
again neither does DMD so I don't think that would matter much ?
It's not a very big issue for Mac users to use the X11* or GTK+
versions of the interface, until a native Mac port can be done.

I am planning to include wxD with my GDC, but I think including
MinWin with DMD would be enough to get started with GUI easily ?

And, very importantly, it does play a game of Classic Empire :-)
(or used to, see http://dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=660)

--anders

* Always included, see http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/