Comparison chart worries

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Sat Jan 13 17:58:33 PST 2007

Quoting from
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=431909

> I'm sorry, but some of your "comparisons" to C# are just WRONG. Period, flat out, wrong. No dynamic arrays? Try System.Collections.Generic.List<T>. No associative arrays? Try System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<T>. No aliases? Try using <class> = Alias;. There are many more on that page, so much so, I am half tempted to write a page debunking over half your comparisons.
>
> Your comparison sheet is EXTREMELY misleading, as you completely ignore the .NET framework, which extends C# far beyond anything D can currently do. Ignoring the presence of many of these facilities in the .NET framework is a really shady tactic to make D seem like it has several important features that C# supposedly lacks. Several other features you claim are "important" are really not (like multiple inheritance, which is dangerous to begin with).
>
> D is a neat language, but you need to be more honest in your comparisons.

Not directly commenting on this quote (since I'm not that familiar with
C#), I think we should check if the comparison really is up to date.

Other languages may have got new versions out, and some of the table
entries are, ehh, not that obvious to the casual reader.

While some of the more surprising answers (the yes/no stuff) are
explained in footnotes or on other pages, we must understand that all
this slashdotting etc. brings readers who don't bother reading "the fine
print". They may then dismiss the table (and thus D itself) as biased,
hyped, and regular marketing lies altogether.

I don't think we can afford it.