Automated page translation with Google

Roberto Mariottini rmariottini at mail.com
Tue Mar 27 07:23:58 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> (I once spent time in Japan working on porting software to various
> Japanese computers. The only tech manuals available were written in
> Japanese. I don't know more than 10 words of Japanese, but I was amazed
> at how far I could get in understanding the manuals with just a hint
> here and there - so I tend to regard even a ludicrously lame google
> translation as a miracle <g>.)

That's your side of the medal. Since most translation software is made
by English-speaking people, translating from some other language to
English works better than the reverse.
In my experience the reverse doesn't work at all.

It's not a miracle when "web" is translated as "photoreceptor", or any
other funny word. The main D page translated in Italian makes no sense,
so it helps no-one having it.

Still, I've made some good laugh with it.

Ciao