Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sun Jul 27 06:32:22 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> The reason for treating warnings as errors when warnings are enabled is
> so that, for a long build, they don't scroll up and off your screen and
> go unnoticed.

Dear gods... These are the kind of comments that make me cringe deep
inside, and honestly worry me about the future of D. :(

Looking at the output of a compiler in a console is a thing of the past.
It's fraking obsolote. It's only done when you're hobbying or toying
with the language. No one who does serious development is going to do
that. What you do is use an IDE with a minimum of intelligence, that
presents to you the warnings in a sensible way. Here's an example from CDT:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-eclipse-ganymede/

Before some people here say they don't use an IDE, but instead use
<editor foo with syntax highlighting and little more than that> and are
fine with it, well, ask yourselves, are you doing any serious
development, or just toying around? If you were in a multi-team, 6+
months project, working with such tools, do you think you would perform
the same as the same team, with a proper toolchain?
Head my words: you wouldn't. Thinking otherwise is a nuisance.

And it's even worse if you're Walter. Basing such language/tool design
issues on outdated notions is a danger to D's development. And it's not
just the "looking at compiler output in console", there are plenty of
other cases of this mentality.
Walter, you need to shed some of your outdated notions of the software
development process and think of the *modern* (present and future)
development models that exist, or D will risk heavily retarded adoption
(or even failure).

I'm dead serious and I want to "record" this message for future
reference, especially if things don't go well (which may not be obvious
though).

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate