Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

Jussi Jumppanen jussij at zeusedit.com
Sun Jul 27 17:43:39 PDT 2008

Bruno Medeiros Wrote:

> Before some people here say they don't use an IDE, but
> instead use <editor foo with syntax highlighting and
> little more than that> and are fine with it,

I would say that the reason developers still prefer to code with
text editors rather than IDE's is they find the text editor more
productive. Eclipse based IDE are just far too slow for a good
developer's fingers.

When you're used to a super quick, highly responsive editor, it
can be terribly frustrating to have you step down to a slow IDE.

The slowness of the keyboard response turns what was an automatic
action, that of typing, into a though process and this plays havoc
with the 'thinking about the code while I type' through process.

> If you were in a multi-team, 6+ months project, working with
> such tools, do you think you would perform the same as the same
> team, with a proper toolchain?

Yes.

I would say team of 'editor based programmers' would be far more
productive than a team o 'IDE based programmers'. The simple fact
that the editor programmer can code outside the IDE immediately
means they have a better understanding of there coding environment
and their toolchain.

There is nothing more pathetic than to watch an IDE programmer turn
into a quivering mess, just because they can't find the answer to
simple questions like:

  Why does my program run fine in the IDE but not
  outside the IDE?