Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 19:15:06 PDT 2008

Jussi Jumppanen wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros Wrote:
>
>> Before some people here say they don't use an IDE, but
>> instead use <editor foo with syntax highlighting and
>> little more than that> and are fine with it,
>
> I would say that the reason developers still prefer to code with
> text editors rather than IDE's is they find the text editor more
> productive. Eclipse based IDE are just far too slow for a good
> developer's fingers.
>
> When you're used to a super quick, highly responsive editor, it
> can be terribly frustrating to have you step down to a slow IDE.
>
> The slowness of the keyboard response turns what was an automatic
> action, that of typing, into a though process and this plays havoc
> with the 'thinking about the code while I type' through process.

Bullshit. Do you have a 200 MhZ Pentium with 128MB RAM? Even then, IDEs
are going to prioritize the editor itself over any
autocomplete/background processing, so the editor shouldn't be any less
responsive. It might take 5 seconds if you click "go to definition" and
it has to open a new file, but that's vs 2 minutes of searching for an
import, finding the file location, and using find to get to the
definition in that file.

The issue is the placebo effect and the comfort zone... which are real
issues (that's why so many people are like "oh, Vista is soooo bloated
compared to XP"...). If you've been using ed to write code for the last
30 years, the mental concept of using your $2000 computer to its full
potential to help you write software is mind-boggling. If you're more
comfortable with your "power-editor" or just can't deal with a 1-minute
startup time for a product you're going to be using for 8 hours, well
all the more power to ya; no amount of productivity gains could make you
willing to switch.

I'm not saying "more complex is always better," but why let all that
processing power go to waste?