Spreading the word about D

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 15:54:54 PDT 2008

"Clay Smith" <clayasaurus at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:g3jrs4$402$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Couldn't find a specific thread devoted to this topic, so started.
>
> What do you think is the best way to promote D?
>
> Here are some ideas I already know about and have seen used successfully.
>
> 1. Articles - Write D articles and post on digg/reddit
> 2. Tutorials - Teach D newcomers how to use D
> 3. Libraries - Write a library for D / help out an existing D library
>
> Here is a link that is also relevant to the subject:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/howto-promote.html
>
> I'm wondering, what are all the awesome, zany, weird, or unique ways you
> can think of to promote the D language? Did I cover everything? Are there
> more effective ways of promoting the language?

I've spread the word about D to the people I know -- classmates,
professors -- just to get them, if nothing else, interested.  I also gave a
small talk on the language through a computer club I'm in and got some
people really interested, to the extent that we are now working on an OS in
D.  And it's cool -- one of the other people who are working on the OS is
now giving a small presentation to some of his colleages at work who are
interested.  And another is a grad student who's worked for IBM and may work
for them again.  Maybe this will spread further :)

I think word-of-mouth is really worth a lot, as long as you have a receptive
audience.