What you use D for?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Fri May 16 17:08:04 PDT 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 02:21:39 -0400, Arne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> thank you for your feedback. Of course we know TIOBE, of course we know
> Descent and the other competition. And it's pretty clear that a single
> person that does not make it's living from programming D couldn't pay
> (much) for an commercial IDE. But thats not the point. The only
> information that we miss is:
>
> Are there comercial companys that use D? Are there persons that sit 8
> hours a day programming D to make theire living?

I'm agreeing with Vladimir, right now there is no market for a commercial
IDE. D is gaining popularity, it is getting lots of good press and some
bad. Complaints come around that D is missing this market, that it hasn't
been polished enough to be used by anyone, see any of Ty Towers posts.
And I'm sure that most everyone here would love to be able to push their
employers to switch, but without a commercial IDE it is harder.

The point is you aren't likely to be making money with in the next year
or two. Once you have completed it, you might have to keep it updated to
the latest language features even if your not rolling in the dough. It
might be important to consider if your company could eat the cost of
development, I think there will be a market coming for D, but it could
take awhile.

Oh and as mentioned before, good debugging support there really isn't
much to support D's features yet.