What Scala?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Apr 2 11:52:04 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> If there's one thing my
> school experience taught me, it's that teachers are only interested in
> focusing on the low-to-mid-range students.

That wasn't my college experience at all (Caltech). I was a
low-to-mid-range student there, and the profs were always ready to help
me, but I would get the impression they thought the material they were
teaching was basic and they wanted more advanced students to they could
teach the fun stuff instead.

> The advanced ones are only there
> to shell out tuition money and act as cheap tutors.

That role was filled by grad students.

> They would be far better
> off saving their time and money by not even going, but they almost *have* to
> go anyway just because the rest of society (and HR drones in particular) are
> brainwashed into thinking that there's a direct correlation between
> academics and competence (if anything, it's slightly inverse - one of the
> smartest people I know had so much trouble with school he ended up a high
> school dropout).

My 4 years at Caltech were transformative to me, particularly in my
problem solving skills.

Certainly, you can be very successful without a university degree, but
there can be a lot of value in a degree. It kinda also depends on how
one goes about getting that degree. If one picked courses solely for the
purpose of getting the degree, well, probably it won't be of much value
in the end. I picked courses on the basis of thinking they'd be
fundamental to the kind of career I wanted. The degree itself was not of
much interest to me. It's forgotten in the bottom of a moldy box
somewhere :-)