The future of D 1.x

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 09:02:36 PDT 2009

Dominik Wrote:

> "Lutger" <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:h68ngs$1efm$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > Though they overlap, phobos and tango do have different scopes and
> > somewhat
> > different programming styles.
>
> I understand taht completeley. I was more making a general statement that
> one of the reasons I am not considering D2 because of Tango being D1 only.
>
> > Would you consider using D2 if Tango was available for it?
>
> I would quite possibly consider it then since I believe fully in the
> competence of Tango people - their work has proven me that they know their
> stuf and I use Tango exclusively (I've started first with D1/Phobos). Tango
> not being available for D2 yet sends mixed signals - it is either that D2 is
> not considered stable yet for any effort of making a D2 version yet, or D2
> is considered not good from the perspective of D1 users.
>
> I have dabbled a bit with D2 and it seems like a different language to me,
> but if Tango would be available for D2 - that would signal me that people
> that I trust and are more competent than me to judge a language are
> confident in D2 enough, so there would be much more reason for me to go
> through with it.

I would assume the main reason why Tango hasn't been ported to D2 yet is that it's not a production language yet, a lot of new releases breaks the code of the previous ones as new syntax and semantics are added. As soon as it hits final I'm sure Tango will branch out a D2 version, with lots of new modules to cover the new features made possible by D2.

Right now D2 is more for people who wants to play with the new language features and contribute to the language.

I do believe D1 has a good chance of success with programmers coming from scripting backgrounds, but D2 is where the language will really shine against C++ and other established system languages.