OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 23:39:35 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> "Bill Baxter" <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.753.1234854114.22690.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:52 PM, John Reimer <terminal.node at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello Derek,

>>> No, I don't. It was a general observation from my interactions within
>>> certain groups of people.  So I would do best to withdraw that statement.
>>
>> George Carlin.  Chris Rock.  South Park.  Never would have been
>> accepted in the Leave-it-to-Beaver era.
>>

> Oh man, I would *hate* to be restricted to 50's era television shows like
> that. I'd feel like I was living in some crazy puritan-revival sect.

Well, you're a product of your environment, so I guess that's not
really surprising.

> I've felt for a while that the issue of profanity can be summed up as
> "People fall into one of two groups: Those who believe in the old 'sticks
> and stones' adage and those who don't." It takes a weak person to be harmed
> by words.

I don't quite know what to say to that.   So you're saying you
wouldn't mind if someone stood behind you uttering profanities all day
long?  I would find that highly annoying and it would most certainly
contribute to my stress levels.  Even if it weren't profanities it
would be highly annoying.  So to say words can't harm you seems
nonsense to me.  Sure words do not cause physical injury, but are
physical injuries the only ones that matter?

--bb