new DIP1: DIP Template

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 13:02:59 PDT 2009

Jesse Phillips, el  8 de julio a las 15:31 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella Wrote:
>
> > Jesse Phillips, el  8 de julio a las 02:04 me escribiste:
> > > FYI, you could have a DIP as a subpage to DiPs, which in turn could be a
> > > subpage to LanguageDevelopment. Personally I'd suggest a Proposal subpage
> > > cantaining the DIPS, which in turn hold any pages they need.
> > >
> > > http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/Proposal
> > > http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/Proposal/DIP1
> > > http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/Proposal/DIP1/
> > > DiscussionArchive
> >
> > That's a good suggestion! I like it. If nobody complains about it I will
> > use the new structure.
> >
> > BTW, I used "DiP1" as wiki page because DIP1 wasn't recognized as a wiki
> > page. Do you know if it's possible to use DIP1?
>
> You can name the pages in whatever manner you wish, you just won't get
> auto links. If you do [LanguageDevelpoment/DIP DIP] it works fine. If

That's odd, I allways typed the links as [LINK The Link] and (at least in
the preview) it wasn't shown as a Wiki link. I'll try again.

> you want to use spaces you can either use {{Page and Spaces}} which is
> the entire page name, for renaming something you must use
> 2 _ [Page__and__Spaces link].

I don't understand this.

> As for moving the page, the content must be move by hand, then the old
> page content can be replaced with:
>
> #REDIRECT NewLocation

Great, thanks.

> > I'd like to use this structure:
> > LanguageDevel/DIPs/ (index)
> > LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP1 (current version)
> > LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP1/Archive (previous versions)
> > LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP1/Archive/Revision1 (previous versions)
> > LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP1/Archive/Revision2 (previous versions)
> > LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP1/DiscussionLinks (links to discussions)
>
> Please no. There is no reason to archive in that manner, the page edits
> already have versions. If you want to archive "final" changes, then use
> a single /Archive page which references as specific archived change.

The Wiki versions are not good enough, because you might change some typo
in the DIP but don't make a version bump. Versions of DIPs are much more
important than wiki pages revisions (which are just for revision control).
I think it would be a bad idea to have both tied.

> My suggestion for DiscussionArchive is probably your DiscussionLinks,
> i.e. the links to newsgroup posts.

I know, you just gave me the idea to archive old DIP versions ;)

> Hope that helps.

It does. Thanks.