eliminate writeln et comp?

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Thu Mar 19 21:46:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:23:44 -0400, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
> I agree, requiring to include copyright with every binary distribution
> is unacceptable for a standard library. But...
>Tango is also available under the Academic Free License. Which I don't
> understand, despite having read through the ten page explanation of it.
> Specifically, you're allow to change it to "any license of your choice
> that does not contradict the terms and conditions, including Licensor's
> reserved rights and remedies, in this Academic Free > License;"
>But what does that mean? Which licenses does it include? Does it include
> the zlib license? I presume not.
> In which case Andrei and Walter's position is entirely justified. If
> that is correct, I will cease contributing to Tango.
>Someone, _please_ tell me I'm wrong.

No, sadly you're right. According to wikipedia, the AFL is not GPL
compatible. If AFL could be converted to zlib then you could convert ALF
source to zlib and it would then be GPL compatible. Q.E.D. Hence, ALF can
not be convert to zlib.

So far the only other licence I saw without the binary-licence
distribution problem is the Boost Software License (BSL1.0) (And of course
the WTFYW licence) And I'm guessing this issue is why they wrote a new
licence instead of reusing an old one.

Actually, some of the BSD/MIT like licences might be valid if you included
the licence string as a constant in the binary distribution (although this
is definitely not in the spirit of the licence)