Declaring Ref Variables Inside Function Calls

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Mar 31 22:55:42 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> So we must add lists too.

Notice the the python "list" is an array dynamic on the right, it's not a linked list.

Regarding tuple: I don't like the name "tuple" of typecons, because they aren't the tuples of D, they are structs. That's why I have named them Record/record in my dlibs.

In my dlibs Tuple is:
template Tuple(T...) { alias T Tuple; }

Also, tuple of typecons misses some very important methods.

----------------------

Andrei Alexandrescu:

>Would the special set syntax look a ton better than
set(1, 2, 5, 6)
set("ab", "c")
?<

I agree, that's acceptable. That's how they are implemented in my d.sets.

>I guess I can't bring myself to dislike tuple(1, 2) in D.<

"I don't agree": a built-in tuple allows you some of the other things I have shown you in Python.

Bill Baxter:

>Walter read a paper by a numerical math guy stating that some things just can't be done correctly if complex types aren't part of the language.<

Maybe you are talking about William Kahan, a person that knows more than the square of what you, me and Walter knows :-)
See Complex Arithmetic Class here:
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/JAVAhurt.pdf

>And I guess it seemed true at the time.   But since then they have figured out a way to make the compiler clever enough to handle such cases correctly even without it being built-in.<

Do you have references or links that can show me that what Kahan says there is not longer necessary/true?

Bye,
bearophile